Ronalds Family Graves
Ronalds family vault at Brentford
Sir Francis' gravestone at Battle, indicated by an arrow
Alfred's grave in Ballarat, in the centre foreground
The Ronalds family tomb is at St Lawrence's church in Brentford. It was in use for a century. It is the final resting place of the paternal grandparents of Sir Francis and Alfred Ronalds ("Old Hugh" and his wife Mary), their parents (Francis and Jane), six of their aunts and uncles, their sister Charlotte and brother Nathaniel, and nine of their first cousins, as well as other family members. The church has been deconsecrated for many years and the graveyard is now in poor condition.
Sir Francis himself was buried in a simple grave with no headstone in the public cemetery at Battle in East Sussex.
Alfred was laid to rest in the Ballarat Old Cemetery. His epitaph reads:
the Memory of
SIR F. RONALDS, F.R.S.
The First Inventor of Electric Telegraph in 1816.
A new granite tombstone was placed in 2008 by the Victorian Fly-Fishers' Association.